Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Town Seal

Search Our Site

Click for Warren, Massachusetts Forecast

Banner Photographs
Courtesy of
Christopher Dunphy
Marriage Licenses

When should we apply?

The marriage license is valid for 60 days from the day you apply (after the 3-day waiting period.) Apply for your license no sooner than 60 days before your planned wedding date.

Do I have to apply where I live?
If the marriage is to take place in Massachusetts, you may apply for your license at any City or Town Clerk's Office in Massachusetts regardless of where you live. Fees and hours vary from office to office. Information on offices in other cities and towns can be obtained from the Commonwealth Communities page on the State of Massachusetts website.

If your marriage is going to take place outside of Massachusetts, you must contact the local officials in the jurisdiction where the marriage will take place. Marriage laws vary from state to state.

Do I need an appointment to apply for a marriage license?

No appointment is necessary. A couple must appear at the Town Clerk's Office together and  in person, to file a "Notice of Intention to Marry." This can be done any time during our regular office hours. Please allow approximately fifteen minutes for completion of your application.

Is there a waiting period from the date of application to the date the license is issued?

Yes, there is a three-day waiting period. Your license will be available on the third calendar day after the day that you apply. For example, if you apply on a Friday, your license can be issued on or after Monday.  Please note that licenses are not issued on Friday, Saturday or Sunday (when we are closed) unless special arrangements are made with the Town Clerk.

Is a blood test required before a license can be issued?

No. On October 29, 2004, the Governor signed a law eliminating the premarital medical certificate requirement in Massachusetts. This law went into effect on January 28, 2005.

What is the fee for obtaining a marriage license in Warren?

The fee is $25.00 for the license only. Certified copies of your Marriage License are usually available five to ten days after your wedding day and the fee is $8.00 per certified copy. 

Can a friend be authorized to perform my marriage ceremony?

The Governor's Office may issue a certificate authorizing a citizen to solemnize a specified marriage on a specified day. Click here to visit the State's website for information and an application.

Is Massachusetts residency required to obtain a marriage license in Massachusetts?

No. Residence is not a requirement for marriage in Massachusetts.

Are same-sex couples who reside outside of Massachusetts allowed to be married in Massachusetts?

Yes.  As of July 31, 2008, the former requirement that same-sex couples either reside in Massachusetts, or intend to move to Massachusetts, is no longer valid.  

What if one or both of us has been divorced?

You are not required to present a divorce certificate when filing intentions to marry. However, it is extremely important that an individual who has been divorced be certain that his/her divorce is absolute. In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce nisi has been granted, regardless of the grounds for divorce.

Are witnesses required to be present at the ceremony?

Massachusetts statute does not require that witnesses be present at your ceremony. The officiant serves as the witness.

What if I have further questions?

You may contact the Town Clerk’s Office by telephone during office hours (413-436-5701 Ext. 3), or via e-mail at Our mailing address is: Town Clerk, P.O. Box 603, Warren, MA 01083.

Town of Warren
Website Disclaimer
Virtual Towns & Schools Website